Rockland Residency: Call to Artists
Thank you for your interest in our offerings for your creative time and space!
Rockland is committed to providing opportunity to traditionally marginalized groups in terms of race and sexual orientation. To do this fairly, our Selection Committee will contain BIPOC and LBGTQIA+ representatives. Rockland requests friends and organizations within those communities to post our Call to Artists. Our residency is free to allow greater access. The application fee is modest and used to pay our Selection Committee of artists for their expertise. If anyone feels this is an obstacle to applying for our residency, please email us for a waiver request. During the selection process, we are aware other groups can also be targeted for their age, ability, religion, gender and political beliefs. We strive to assemble a cohort of varied backgrounds and disciplines of art to stimulate an inspiring, sensitive and lively communal experience.
Please note: This is a residency for adults only over 25 years of age. No children, spouses or other family will be present on site during the duration of the residency. We do not allow guests.
Expected Work Samples to be submitted:
Visual artists: upload 10 images or 3 video samples
Writers: upload 5-20 pages from one or more pieces
Musicians: upload up to 3 samples
Collaborative groups of 2-3 can be submitted on one application. Sharing studio and/or accommodations is helpful given our limited accepted number of residents due to space. Please include all applicant names and contact information on the application.
Please begin your application by using the "Submit" button or "Guidelines" below. Dates and details to follow.
Located in rural Bremerton, Washington, USA, in the Pacific Northwest, Rockland Woods will host its Fall and Winter Residency for inter/national and local artists working as writers, musicians, visual, performance and/or social practice and more. Selection Committee members will be experts in the fields of music, writing and visual art. Rockland provides opportunity to dedicated artists with exceptionally strong work samples. In addition to innovative samples, a successful application will be genuine and thought provoking. Resumes are not required. We accept emerging and established artists.
- Deadline: March 31, 2024
- 3-weeks: October 8-29, 2024 or
- 3-weeks: January 8-29, 2025
- Must be 25+ years of age
- Cannot be currently enrolled as a student as a candidate for BFA or MFA degree
- $25 application fee (please email us if this deters you from applying)
- 9 Residents (Fall) and 7 Residents (Winter) will work at Rockland Woods along with 1-2 staff. Rockland Staff are also artists, working in their studios during residency.
- Facilities: The Lodge, Barn Studios, The Saddle House Apartment, Lil Shop, furnished Canvas Tents, The Sheds Studio and The Norb 1948 vintage trailer. Studios: woodshop, ceramic studio with 1 wheel and 1 electric kiln (experience required), studio work spaces and live/work spaces. Amenities: Wood stove, hot tub and private outdoor bathtub provide warmth during the cold season.
- Property includes a lush 20-acre, 100-year old forest with trails, shoreline to a peaceful lake and view of Olympic Mountains.
- Rockland expects its residents to use their time in any way they believe will benefit their creative process. There are no obligations tied to this opportunity. We gather for chef-prepared lunch and dinner followed by informal presentations (optional) in the evening.
- International artists are responsible for obtaining any necessary documentation for travel between countries. Rockland can provide a letter of purpose when necessary.
- Residents provide associated costs for own travel, supplies, suggested food donation, and entertainment.
- Rockland provides accommodations, studios, utilities, household staples, chef for prepared lunch/dinner, promotion, guarded creative time and a welcoming community environment. Rockland reserves the right to remove any resident who does not provide an atmosphere of respect and safety for other residents and Rockland Woods. We expect inclusivity.